Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yet another long post, with very little content.

So it has only been 2 weeks since my last post, which means that I am getting better about this. Sadly, it makes me realize I need to start writing things down, because I so many stories are being lost due to a bad memory.

So when I last left you hungry-for-more I was sick and contemplating going to a doctor, which I never did. Luckily I started to feel a lot better really fast, though it took nearly a week after I finished all the medication the doctor gave me, which makes me think the doctor probably had no clue what was wrong. Actually, I have had really bad luck with the doctors here, since most seem to be on the guess and check method of diagnosis, and I have yet to have an ailment correctly identified on the first shot. I suppose I will give the people here a few more trys, since I don't really have any other options.

So I started feeling better and my boss mentioned he wanted some web design done for various locations, but didn't elaborate, which was a problem, since the last time I did web design, I was 12 and I figured things had changed alot. Actually, things haven't changed all that much and thanks to a couple well organized open source programmers, I am getting pretty good at html and css. My first page I am leaving enough of the original code that I will leave his contact info and some credits in the code, but from here on I plan to code my own stuff. After I finish the page from the group I work with most of the time, I already have 5 others I'd like to do/ people want me to do, so I should get really good.

My organizaion recently decided to have an auditor help me with my caja rural stuff, but so far we have made no progress. Sadly, I think this is because no one wants to be audited, but hopefully we can come up with a plan. Our biggest problem is that there are very few people responsible for book keeping and managing the groups, and zero accountability.

We recently had another visitor, a friend of Alice that has been around forever and we went to the copan ruins and to do a rural tourism activity near by the ruins. Sadly I had to leave a day early to be back in time for a meeting that was cancelled 2 hours after it was supposed to start, so I travelled home a day early for nothing. Life eh?

To say that copan ruins are worth the trip is to point out the terribly obvious. Sadly, no picture can demonstrate how awesome it is, but I will put up a couple rather creepy pictures of me.


Now, you're probably thinking that isn't a creepy picture, but you're wrong. You'll notice the begginings of my double chin are gone, a fairly large section of my gut, and pretty much all of my hair. If that isn't creepy, I don't know what is.


This one isn't as creepy, since the background distracts your eyes from the above mention oddities, but you can see one of the smaller structure that is attached to a ball court (mayans were some of the first to play "ball" games, but the rules are vague and vary alot, so no one really explains it.) The tarp on the right is covering the longest mayan hieroglyph known that describes the rules of 4 different kings. I am standing on the top of the tallest pyramid at this site. This particular set of ruins has a lot of different structures. They actually seem to have built copan on top of an older city that is slowly being excavated.

So a few days later we went back to la tigre and this time we made it to the waterfall. The guidebook described the waterfall in a way I was kinda nervous to go, since it said that it "often dries up during the dry season" which we were in the middle of, but luckily, the guidebook didn't take into account the four inches of rain the national park had the night before. I will post pictures of that and more copan pictures when they are off my camera.

Until then

3 comments:

Freak said...

Thanks for posting your experience. . just like you were I'm a hopefully future peace corps volunteer. I've been nominated for central/south america for forestry or agriculture. I just wanted to say, Keep up the good work and I hope you guys make it outta there alive ; ).
-Jai Rogala

Unknown said...

you should post more pictures. i likes em.

Saint Facetious said...

I agree with Samantha. Except they should be pictures of me.