Sunday, July 27, 2008

Striving

Alice said I was going to post an update soon, so here I am. As Alice mentioned, I had the fever. I think she really did cover the main details pretty well and I will only add a couple of details in list form:

1. I hate getting IVs. My viens are thin and don't like to cooperate. It took 5 tries to place 2 IVs.
2. I bruise when an IV is placed correctly.
3. I bruise a lot when an IV is not placed correctly.
4. I don't like hospitals.
5. I cannot sleep well in hospitals.
6. If I am in the hospital for a fever, and I am discovered to be sweating at 2 in the morning, I could care less that my shirt is a little wet. Let me sleep.
7. If my blood pressure is slightly low becuase you wake me up to take it, it is not going to put me in better spirits if you wake me up on an hourly basis to check it again. Especially when the time period in question is between 12am and 7am.
8. If I don't have stomach issues, I don't want shots that fix stomach issues.
9. I don't really want shots at all.
10. I have medical allergies. Even if I told the admitting doctor about them, I will probably ask you about everything you try to hook up to my viens.
11. Failure to answer these questions will get you kicked out of my hospital room until you want to answer them.
12. I am not a good patient. I am not a patient patient.
13. I like hot food. Not eating cold food does not mean I have developed stomach issues. It means I don't like cold soup.
14. If I am so sick I need to be hospitalized, do not leave me in a hallway for an hour and a half.
15. I would rather go through the pain of another IV then have an old IV restarted by forcefully injecting saline to unclog it.
16. On second thought, I would actually prefer to just have the bag changed at a regular interval.

So, that is my latest trip to the local hospital. They diagnosed my correctly the first time, which was a nice change, but I larned I don't ever want to be hospitalized again if I can avoid it. I am contemplating talking to people at the office about my experience to find out if what I experienced was normal. I am betting it was, but I'd like to know.

So a new group of municipal development is being trained, and I am spending a lot of my free time helping my project trainer out. Alice and/or I stop by once a week to run a session and answer questions. The new group seems alright and they haven't lost anyone yet, and I hope they keep that up. My group has now lost 11 people, and we are well over average for the country. It is really sad losing that many people. Hopefully the new group keeps blogs so I can add them to people rocking Honduras.

That is all for now.

The Hippie

2 comments:

Saint Facetious said...

IVs give me the heeby jeebies.

Unknown said...

I absolutely hate hospitals. Your description of the Honduran hospital is the stuff of my nightmares.

Joel and I are really glad you're doing better.