Tuesday, September 1, 2009

English class project completed, memories made

(Some of my III Ciclo comun kids)


About 8 months ago, Drew and I were asked to teach English classes in a nearby pueblo called San Juancito. We had worked at the high school before doing project citizen, and I had always wanted to see if I could teach ESL and saw it as an opportunity to learn, teach the kids about my culture, and have as a major project my last few months.
(The teachers that gave me free rides to class, about a 3o minute drive from my town)
Drew went to DC for knee surgery and I started the classes. Ok, so I had five classes, my biggest class had 52 kids and my smallest about 18. I had some books to use as guides but made my own curriculum, quizzes, homework assignments and tests. At first it was overwhelming but it kept me busy while Drew was gone. When he came back, he helped me make tests, create a system to record the grades, and even came to a few classes. With each month it got easier, though there was one day I walked out of my class of 52 kids and told them I may not come back. I gave them another shot, they calmed down, they are 12-13 but good kids, think 6th grade in the states….. (a few of my 53 kiddos in I Ciclo comun)

This last two months was hard due to the “coup” or golpe de estado, or change of government or whatever you want to call it. We missed about half the classes. So, I just finished up with three of the five classes, all ciclo comun or middle school grades. I wrapped it up with colors, numbers and clothing, fun yet functional things to know. The second to last week we did a cultural day where they had to present on several cultural themes of Honduras, and I did a presentation for them about Oklahoma (and used some of those great postcards people had sent me for my collection!). It was tons of fun and a learning experience for both me and the students.

Today was the last day of classes. It was also dia de la bandera, flag day, so it started off with some presentations by the teachers and students, including hanging the flag, a poem and a rap about Honduras among others.
(Doing a regeatton rap to celebrate Honduran patriotism)

Afterwards, it was time for the final test. Since I feel kids in this country don’t get enough creativity, I drew people in bright clothes and they had to write on their test papers the clothing type and color. I had also made them do homework over the past few weeks including cutting out things in the primary colors and drawing rainbows, as well as silly numbers games such as bingo to put learning back into a fun environment. After the tests, I got pictures taken with most of the kids, got a cake and a song and several hugs. (Taking the final exam, and afterwards, enjoying my goodbye cake!)

It was an amazing, if not exhausting and learning experience. I learned I can teach and manage several youth at once, they learned a bit more of English, a little about US culture, and hopefully I made a positive impression on them. They sure made one on me. So much so, that I convinced the youth development project to place a new volunteer there when I leave….hope they drive them as crazy as they did me, yet also touch their heart.

My favorite class, who I also did Project Citizen with, II Ciclo Comun

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Alice Cat!
Beverly

Sarah said...

Amazing work! We need more people in this world like you guys :) God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Alice Cat!
Beverly

Unknown said...

excelente