Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A couple of notes

Disclaimer: The Peace Corps employs me, but that is it. My opinions don´t reflect thiers, and occasionally vice versa. Sadly, some volunteers have done some very silly things that reflected poorly on this organization in various ways and now I must point out that all opinions expressed below are my own. All recollections are my own version, so your view of this blog should reflect only poorly on me, but reflections of the postive type can be pointed towards whoever. Rock out.

Also, I am working with varios keyboards of various quility, and, additionally, my grammar really sucks, so if your the type to enjoy this sort of correcting, let me know. I could use an editor. Shawn, I´m looking your way.

Today was one of the better days I have had. Why? Because my wife brought me a doughnut from the big city. How awesome is that? It is the first American food of any type I have had.

Also, since I know potential volunteers often peruse blogs to find out what it is like (since I did), heres a story for you. In training, they are going to talk alot about unwanted attention, and as well they should. There is alot of this sort of attention. Some of the ladies are starting to get it alot. Being a man I thought that I would have less to worry about, and overall I do, but when it happens, it is a bit of a shock. Over the weekend I was in the midst of a confrontation with a drunk man who wanted to drink and dance with some volunteers. We weren´t even at a club or a bar. And when I told him they couldn´t speak Spanish, and don´t like to dance, he got mad. Then I had to ask him to stop propositioning my wife. He got even more upset. We excused ourselves from the situation at about the right time, as after we left, he threw a chair. This type of attention is common, and his reaction is not abnormal, and the police aren´t always just a phone call away. If you cannot keep a level head during stressful situtions, reconsider. Most volunteers who experience problems don´t call attention to themselves, it just happens. We knew when we needed to leave, and we did, despite the fact that besides him we were really having fun. Good decisions keep you out of trouble.

1 comment:

Saint Facetious said...

Though I think your grammar has been better than most blogs I read, I wouldn't mind being your bleditor.

And why didn't you sing and dance with him? I find the best way to handle belligerents is to buy 'em drinks!