Tuesday, July 31, 2007

In advance.

I am going on some field trips and I don't know how well technology will follow me so heres an update of whats going on over the next bit of my life.

Tommorow Alice and I are getting a cell phone. I had orginally planned to swear off these awful leashes for two years, but the problem is simple. They are super cheap, and free to recieve calls. I am paying about 32 dollars for one. It is not super nice, but now people can call me, and with a phone card in the states, it will cost you about 2 cents a minute. I can also recieve text messages, and rumor has it, it doesn't cost any more to send one out here. And if it does, you can go to tigo.com and put in my number, and send one that way for free.

Tommorow I am visiting the capital to go to a market and the bus station. Basically, they are teaching us how to buy/haggle food, and how to travel. Good information, I reckon. Then Thursday until Sunday we are visiting another volunteer. She lives in a fair sized city, so we're excited to go. Then next wednesday we change training sites, so updates may be sparse, but we don't know yet.

I'll try to let everyone know what the good word is before then, but if I can't, Good luck over the next six weeks.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

2 cents a minute? Blasphemy! Cheapest I found was $.16/minute. Can you point me in the right direction?

Saint Facetious said...

Tell photo jesus to check out www.stiphonecard.com. Those have got some crazy cheap cards. That's what I use to call to Russia.

So when are you going to give us your number? That way I can shoot down drunken texts to my friends in Honduras. Fun for all!

Saint Facetious said...

Bugger, even there is 12.5 cents a minute...

Unknown said...

Thanks Shawn. I spent an entire day looking through all the phone cards I could find. Settled on one with a slightly higher rate, but less extra costs, like weekly fee, connection fee, etc.

-
I hope the both of you enjoy your time with the other PCV. Should give a good look at how things will be down the road.

Anonymous said...

Well, with how cheap it is, i might give ya a call sometime man. I find it funny though that you gotta go to a third world country to get a good phone plan. It's always good to here from ya Drew.