Thursday, August 16, 2007

Tommorow

I feel a bit overwhelmed today, and since I am here at the cibercafé I figure I will update everyone on how things are going here.

Tommorow I give my first charla (a short lecture or lesson, can be in a formal or informal setting) to students on self-esteem. I find it annoying I need to look confident and cool tommorow, but I find I don't like public speaking in english, and I have an impossible time understanding what kids say to me, so while I am excited, I am looking for any excuse to delay things a week or so. That would be cool. I am not ready. Oh well.

We still need to talk to the mayor, but the project we want to undertake is we want to start a patronato in an urban area (don't think inner city, here urban area just means there are at least 4 ish roads. A patronato is kinda like a neighborhood organization, but it is effective in working with the municipal government, and that is also more important than it may sound. They really only have 2 levels of government here, federal and municipal, and unless you have good friends in the federal government, the municipal government is in charge of all public improvements, including roads, water, electricity, ect. This means if you don't have a patronato, your area effectively has no representation in the part of the government responsible for services. I don't know how this process will work, but I am excited to try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope the charla went well today! Mama